Special Bets - Get the Latest Non-Sports Novelty, TV & Political Bets
Oddspedia provides you with the best online bookmakers where you can find excellent odds for special bets. We have also provided some basic tips that will boost your winning chances when wagering on these platforms. Read on to learn more about special betting, including the advantages and risks involved.
What are Special Bets?
Special bets or just specials are wagers that do not have a direct relationship with sports events. Unlike sports betting, which involves wagering on games and matches, special bets involve betting on events such as political elections.
These types of bets are not as common as placing football or basketball wagers. However, they have gained popularity over the years. In other words, you will be able to place special bets at some of the top online bookies.
There are different kinds of special bets, including those on novelty, politics, TV shows, and awards. We have explained them below.
In novelty betting, you can wager on the results of any global event. Bookmakers will set odds for any event that generates enough buzz to warrant betting. Although novelty bets are not often linked with sports, you will not have to look far to find bookmakers offering sports novelty bets. That is because these wager types are becoming more popular, with millions of bets being placed each year.
Novelty bets could be based on some of the most well-known games. A good example is predicting the results of a television show or what the weather will be the following day. To entice sports fans to place these bets, several betting sites have introduced novelty promotions. Just like with regular bets, bookmakers' odds on novelty bets will differ, so it pays to shop around for the best ones.
There has been a growing appetite for wagering on high-stakes political outcomes. In fact, in 2020, a person staked $1.29 million on Joe Biden being president. Political betting is popular in places where it is legal. So, online betting sites now offer a wide range of political betting options. This includes markets for presidential and mayoral elections and keywords said in important speeches.
To correctly predict the outcome of anything in politics, you need to be current on political matters. This means keeping up with the news and anything that could impact the results of an election or other political events. Also, keep in mind that the odds vary from one bookmaker to another. That is why we recommend only the best betting sites where you can place wagers on these events.
Although betting on "unscripted" reality TV programs is entertaining, wagering on scripted TV shows is also great. A good example of a scripted show that gained popularity in the betting world is Game of Thrones and its prequel House of the Dragon. Every credible site that offers TV betting odds featured entertaining prop bets on Game of Thrones. Some of these markets include who will die first and who will rule Westeros at the end of the series.
Bettors interested in the entertainment industry have also focused on massively successful series like "Star Wars" and "The Avengers." They could wager on whether or not major characters would die prior to the release of Avengers: Endgame. Some sites even let you wager on things like who will succeed Daniel Craig as the next James Bond.
Talks of who would win Best Actor or even Best New Artist at award shows like the Oscars, Golden Globes, and Grammys are quite popular. However, it is not just fans that have an interest in these awards; punters do too. Shows like the Academy Awards tend to go on for a while. So, putting a little money on the line can make things a lot more fun and interesting to watch.
Some sites that let you bet on the award shows also have fun props which have nothing to do with the awards. For instance, on some platforms, you can place bets on what colour dress an actress will wear to the Grammys. You might also be able to bet on whether or not the longest acceptance speech will last more than two minutes.
Best Betting Sites for Special Bets
You do not need to search too far to find the best betting sites for special bets. Oddspedia has listed the top platforms where you can enjoy placing these wagers. Before recommending an online bookie, we conduct a thorough evaluation of what the operator offers. To quell whatever doubts you might have about gambling on our recommended sites, we include reviews from real bettors.
That said, here are the key things we pay attention to when reviewing online bookmakers where you can place special wagers:
- Betting Variety: We ensure that the gambling site has a wide variety of betting markets for punters.
- Attractive Betting Odds: To make sure you get the most out of your bets, we only recommend sportsbooks with great odds.
- Special bonuses: Freebies sweetens a bettor's gambling experience. So, our recommended online bookies have some of the best bonuses.
- Banking Options: Punters will have no problem with payments on our top sites. That's because we have ensured they have different trustworthy payment methods.
- User Interface: We look out for platforms with a great user interface that's easy to navigate.
- Mobile Compatibility: An excellent betting site should have a good mobile platform that's compatible with multiple operating systems.
- Reliability: We ensure that you can trust our sites by looking out for licences and security features.
- Reputation: Our top platforms have a good reputation among players because of their impressive offerings.
Betting Sites for Special Bets to Avoid
Oddspedia believes it is its responsibility to inform its readers about fraudulent gambling websites. These platforms pose a security risk since they can steal your financial information and use it to access your funds.
That is why you need to place bets only at online gambling sites that have a good reputation and work with a licence. You can easily check the bookmaker's licensing and legal status in your country by visiting the site. We guarantee that you will not find any fraudulent bookies among the sites we recommend because our experts have previously analysed them thoroughly.
How to Place Special Bets?
If you are already familiar with sports betting, you will have no problem placing special bets. All you need to do is follow the steps we have explained below.
Create an Account at A Betting Site
The first thing you need to do is create an account on your preferred gambling platform. Simply visit the site and click the option to register. Next, fill in the necessary details in the designated field. Some of the information you might provide includes your email, full name, and phone number.
Make a Deposit
Once you have an active account, navigate to the payment page to make a deposit. From the list of payment methods, choose one that you prefer. Type in the amount you want to deposit and any other information needed to finish the transaction. Deposits are processed shortly, so your funds should reflect in your gambling account within a few minutes.
Check Out Your Betting Options
After a successful deposit, visit the sports lobby to check out the betting options available. These gambling sites list their available sports on the betting page, so you pick the one you want. Once you choose the type of special bet, you will find the markets you can pick from.
Add to The Bet Slip and Enter the Betting Amount
Immediately after you select the betting market you want, the bookmaker adds it to your bet slip. You can choose to place single wagers or add multiple stakes to this slip. Afterwards, you confirm your bet. The online betting site would then subtract the bet amount from your real money balance.
Wait for The Results of The Event
After placing your bets, you have to wait for the results, as this will determine if you get a payout or not. In other words, you will have to wait for the election, award, or any other event to end in order to know if your bet won. How long you need to wait to get your payout depends on the specific event.
Which Are the Most Popular Specials Betting Markets?
The following are the most popular specials betting markets you'll find at top bookmakers:
- Political betting: Predicting the winner of an election is a common kind of political betting. However, there are some special wagers you can make, including the over/under on the number of seats each party will take. Since general elections in different countries occur at intervals, these markets are not always available.
- Wagering on Awards: When it comes to special bets on Award ceremonies, the Oscars are by far the most popular. Punters from all around the world anticipate this particular event because of the wagering opportunities it presents. Other popular award events include the Emmy Awards, the Golden Globes, the BAFTA Awards and the BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
- TV Betting: Many online bookmakers have markets for popular television shows like the X factor, I'm A Celebrity and Britain's Got Talent. Some of these sites also cover scripted movies like James Bond and other popular television series.
- Celebrity Gossip: The celebrity gossip market is huge and has grown in popularity among punters. Betting on a celebrity's upcoming relationships or baby names are two examples of popular celebrity gossip novelty bets you can place. Whatever hot topics are trending in the entertainment industry, there will be a betting market available at some of the best online bookies.
What Types of Bets Are Available at Online Bookmakers?
There are different types of bets you can place at online bookmakers, and they include:
- Outright Winner: This is the most common bet you can place in specials betting. It entails betting on who will win a certain event or contest.
- Place: A place bet is a wager on a participant to finish in one of the top two, three, four, or five positions rather than the overall winner. These are more popular in television betting markets such as I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here!
- Each-Way: Each-way wagers are made up of the two types of bets we have explained above. This means that you place a bet on your selection to win the event. You also bet that your selection will finish in one of the positions specified by the sportsbook.
- Accumulators: Also known as parlay bets, these stakes consist of multiple selections that are bound into one bet. For the stake to win, every pick in the bet slip must be correct. These types of wagers have a lower chance of winning, but they payout more significant sums.
- Forecast: It is a prediction of who will win and who will be the runner-up in a particular event or contest. Keep in mind that they must come in first and second in the precise sequence you predicted in order for you to win.
Why Should you bet on Specials?
Special bets have become popular due to the different advantages gamblers enjoy from them. However, just as there are advantages to placing these stakes, there are also disadvantages. Below, we explore the advantages and risks involved in these types of bets.
Advantages Associated with Special Bets
- You can bet on non-sports events you are interested in: If you already have ample knowledge of politics, or you seem to be enjoying a particular series, betting on them can make it more exciting.
- There are multiple betting markets online: Politics and entertainment are two buzzing sectors, and there are always events that come up. Thus, you'll usually find betting markets for these niches.
- It is a good way to take a break from sports betting: Even if you want to pause betting on sports, you can still enjoy the thrill of placing special bets. Plus, the bet settlement for these stakes is quite profitable.
- There is a high risk of losing: Reality shows, scripted shows, and the results of a political event are very unpredictable. So, you should prepare to accept losses, because you cannot predict the exact outcome of these events.
- Some shows run briefly: Awards and some television programmes air for a limited period. Likewise, things like general elections only happen once in a few years. This means that some betting markets are available for only a very short period.
- Not many gambling sites offer promotions for these bets: Online bookmakers are more likely to have promotions for sports betting than special betting.
Be Successful When Betting on Specials with Oddspedia
Special betting, like sports betting, is a game of chance. While you cannot always be certain of a win, there are a few tips that can tip the odds in your favour. These tips include:
Grab the Best Odds
The odds of an event determine your payout. If an online bookmaker has competitive odds, you are sure to make a better profit when your bet wins. On the other hand, if these odds are poor, your gains will be less. That is why you should always opt for sites with great odds.
Thanks to the unique functionality of our site, you can compare the odds of different bookmakers, to find those with the best options. We have more than 200 bookmakers whose odds you can compare before choosing where to place your bets.
See Full Odds History and Movement
A good way to increase your chances of placing winning bets is to go through the odds history. This shows you the odds of previous events, giving you an idea of what they will be like currently. With this knowledge, you can determine if a bet is worth placing or not.
Oddspedia is the best place to find this information. The history of the odds and graphs of their movement since the opening of the market is available on our site.
Get the Latest Showbiz and Political News
You cannot place bets on politics or entertainment without a good idea of the latest news. In other words, you need to be current with whatever it is that is happening in the sector you are interested in. The best way to do this is by reading the latest news from different agencies.
All the current news from leading news agencies is available on our website. Therefore, you no longer need to look for information in different places. We have gathered everything you need to ensure you have a successful betting experience.
Read Betting Tips and Analysis
If you want to make the most of every special bet you place, use our betting tips and analysis. On Oddspedia, you will find separate betting guides for different types of special bets. In these guides, all the specifics of these types of bets are discussed in detail. You will also find tips and strategies that apply specifically to them. This information can help you place bets with a better chance of winning.
Check Statistics and Public Opinion
Aside from being up-to-date with the happenings in these sectors, you should also seek public opinion and check statistics. Our platform has all the necessary statistics for special bets. Plus, the communication in our community will help you learn the opinions of most bettors.
With this, you have enough information to place educated bets. Combine this with tips from our betting guides and great odds from our recommended sites. Then, you're sure to place stakes with a higher winning probability.
Special Bets FAQ:
Can Betting on Specials Be Profitable?
Betting on specials can be profitable. The best bookmakers offer competitive odds for hot topics like a general election or a popular ongoing series. If you place stakes on these sites and win, you get a good payout. It also depends on the type of bets you place.
Do All Sites Offer Special Bets?
Unfortunately, you cannot place special bets on every website. However, we have selected the top betting platforms where you can enjoy wagering on politics or entertainment. You can read the review of each site to learn about their offerings before signing up.
What Are the Most Popular Special Bets in The UK?
Political betting markets are one of the most common options available at top UK bookmakers. Wagering on shows like The Voice and The X Factor has also become very popular in the United Kingdom. Punters also enjoy placing bets on programmes like the Eurovision, the Grammys, the Oscars, and the Nobel Prize.
Can I Use My Sports Welcome Bonus for Special Betting?
Most online bookies have restrictions regarding the market and odds you can use these freebies to wager on. You can only use these bonuses to place special bets if the online bookmaker specifies it in its terms and conditions.
What Is the Difference Between the Special Bet and Other Types of Bets?
Special bets involve wagering on non-sporting events. You can place special bets on political events, movies, reality shows, and the like. On the other hand, sports betting involves wagering on different sports like football and basketball.
What Type of Entertainment Events Can You Bet On?
You can bet on things like I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here Now!, Masterchef, and the Eurovision Song Contest. Some sites also offer betting markets for popular television series and other movies. Other types of entertainment events you can bet on include awards shows like the Grammys, Oscars, Golden Globes and the BBC sports personality of the year.
Are There Specific Apps for Special Bets?
If the bookmaker you register with has a mobile application, you will be able to place special bets from the app. However, if such apps are unavailable, there will be a mobile version. If this is the case, you can place these wagers using your smartphone or tablet. Oddspedia has listed the best mobile sites to gamble on.
Do Bookmakers Give Bonuses for Special Bets?
Some bookmakers give bonuses for special bets. You can find such betting sites on Oddspedia. We not only list platforms with excellent odds but also those with generous bonuses you can claim. However, before taking advantage of these offers, read the terms and conditions attached.
Can I Join More than One Website for Entertainment Betting?
You can join multiple websites for entertainment betting. Oddspedia has a list of the best online betting sites where you can enjoy wagering on entertainment. These sites have excellent odds, so you can make more money from the bets you place on them. They are also secure, so you don't have to worry about the safety of your personal and financial details.
What Are Some Strange Things You Can Bet On?
Weather is one of the most interesting novelty betting markets. One can also engage in financial betting, which entails wagering on the future value of a particular financial instrument set by a bookmaker. Other special bets worth mentioning include when humans will set foot on Mars and who will be the next pope.
How Can Oddspedia Help with Special Bets?
Oddspedia has the latest news on showbiz and entertainment as a whole. We are also an active community of bettors with experience placing special bets. So, we not only offer you current news on these events but also betting tips that can help you place more educated wagers.
What Are the Safest Online Betting Sites for Special Bets?
You will find the safest online betting sites for special bets on Oddspedia. Before recommending these sites, we reviewed them thoroughly to ensure that their operations were safe. The online bookmakers we recommend are licensed and regulated by well-known authorities. One of these is Bet365 which is a world-renowned betting site.
To Whom Are Special Bets Suitable?
Special bets are suitable for any punter with an interest in politics and entertainment. If you enjoy keeping up with electoral news and the happenings in the country, you can place bets on politics. Likewise, if you are a fan of movies and other television shows, then betting on entertainment is a good option.
Can I Place Live Bets on Entertainment Events?
You can wager on ongoing entertainment events. A good example would be betting during The Voice's finale. You can wager on who will emerge as the winner and who will be the runner-up. You can also bet on what you think the position of a certain contestant will be.
Are Accumulators Available for Special Bets?
You can use accumulators when placing special bets. This means that you make multiple selections and tie them into one bet. For that bet to win, every selection must be correct. These bets pay out significantly more than single bets.